Sunday, August 16, 2015

My First Liturgy!!!

St. Philothea Greek Orthodox Church in Athens, GA
So the moment I've been eagerly anticipating has finally arrived. I visited my first liturgy today, and I'd like to describe in detail what I experienced, however, I believe one sentence may suffice for the "too long, didn't read" viewers out there.

It felt like I was worshipping with the angels.

As many of you probably know, I was very nervous for my first Divine Liturgy. As a Southern Baptist, I expected this to be quite a culture shock. I wasn't disappointed, yet I walked into St. Philothea knowing that the prayers of my fellow believers (including an igumen and an hieromonk!) were encouraging me and giving me strength.

And God deemed fit, it seems, to provide me with a friend upon entering. A fine gentleman, Mike, though not greeting, sensed my nervousness and walked up to me. He mentioned that he chrismated into the church three months ago, and he used to be a Baptist deacon! He took me around the church and explained a few things to me, then offered to let me sit with him and his wife during the Divine Liturgy. His wife had such a wonderful voice, and she frequently explained a few things to me during the liturgy. I must admit, I felt somewhat sad, as I was interrupting her worship of our amazing God to have my questions answered, yet she didn't seem to mind at all. 

Thank you, God, for placing these two kind believers in my path today. I truly felt great knowing how much they cared. In fact, Mike's lovely wife brought me some of the blessed bread after the serving of Holy Communion, and Mike explained to me all the different aspects of the sanctuary. I'm sorry for interrupting their worship, but they really seemed to care about making me feel welcome. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but this beautiful couple made it better.

So anyway, I digress. The service was "somewhat" what I expected. I knew much of it would be sung, and it was. I kind of got lost in the service and wasn't able to follow along in the liturgy book. But, I knew some of the things (the Creed and the Our Father. Don't worry, Orthodox readers, I didn't throw in the Filioque!). They spoke in Greek at certain parts, some of which seemed confusing, but most of which seemed to involve the Greek version of "Lord, have mercy."

My favorite part of the service, however, was the serving of the Eucharist. In a typical Baptist setting, the pastor and the deacons serve the Lord's Supper around the sanctuary. They usually read from the Bible related verses and then remind us that Christ has commanded us to do this in remembrance of him. They might say a prayer before. However, the Orthodox spend much of the service preparing the bread and wine for the parishioners. It is paraded around the sanctuary, and the people bow as it passes. The Orthodox also believe that the bread and the wine become the body and blood of Christ mystically. Hence, Christ's "This is my body. This is my blood." They don't follow the Catholic need to argue for "transubstantiation." Instead, they simply believe on faith. We all got on our knees and bowed as the Eucharist was brought up to the altar. Then, those able to receive Holy Communion partook. As I said, it was beautiful, and something I will remember for life.

You know, I was warned about one thing the Orthodox Church does... Which is eat! And they happened to be having gyros, salad, and potatoes after the service. Andddddd, it was free for college students! Mike and his lovely wife took me to the fellowship hall, and I ate with some college students, all of whom were great people. I'm looking forward to spending more time in the future.

So, overall, my first Divine Liturgy was an experience. I enjoyed it. I felt like I was in the presence of some truly God-fearing people. While I can't claim to have understood it all, I will say that I loved every minute. Father Anthony, the priest, gave a great homily, and I'm looking forward to chatting with him more when able. He said after the service that he recalled my face somewhere. 

Thank you for your prayers, dear readers, and continue to pray for me as I continue my great adventure.

Yours,

Christian

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! Wise not to use the filioque! LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like your blog. I am doing the same thing (you saw it on FB). I will be reading about journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! I am reading through your blog, and I'm looking forward to following your journey. You have a very easy to read and enjoyable writing style :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing. Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should duplicate this on a Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kevin. Do you mean as in I should create a specific page for this blog? That might be a good idea.

      Delete
  4. Hi Christian, so glad you experienced your first Liturgy. Don't worry about Mike and his wife and their interrupted Liturgy. Most of us enjoy introducing new people to Orthodox worship.
    And as for not understanding everything that went on. I was chrismated almost fourteen years ago, and there are still things I don't understand! It is like a huge onion. Every time I think I comprehend something, another layer presents itself and I have to spend time peeling it back to reach a deeper understanding. So welcome to the journey! And never be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that is unasked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Perry. I'm excited to continue learning as I progress :)

      Delete
  5. Ask your priest about this... The cannons forbid liturgical kneeling on Sundays.
    Only deep bow touching floor with fingers. But Mon-Sat yes, full folding, forehead to floor.
    Christ lifts us to stand in His presence.

    www.christiancomehome.blogspot.com is the blog I've kept for a few years. ..
    And You Are, Christian !!! You Are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina, your blog is lovely :)

      I shall ask the priest as I get to know him. The sanctuary is quite small, and the pews are tight. Perhaps the reason for the kneeling is because of the lack of space. I must admit I am too early in the process to understand.

      Delete