Monday, August 31, 2015

Getting Outside Your Comfort Zone (And Other Updates)

This blog is called "The Great Adventure," but I didn't really think I would actually do any adventuring on my journey. Like... real adventuring.

Like camping.

Yeah, I went camping. And for anyone who knows me, I'm the guy who would wear a FitBit just to see how many steps I could avoid walking daily. Getting up from the couch is usually dangerously close to exercise. So why did I go camping?

Well, I didn't know anyone in the Orthodox Church, really. I'd met some cool younger adults, but I still wasn't as involved in the faith as I liked. The UGA president of the OCF (Orthodox Christian Fellowship) asked me if I wanted to come. I figured, "Why not? What can go wrong?"

So began the first obstacle in my great adventure.

We went camping near the North Carolina/Georgia border. And we got there around midnight. Who knows why? We set up our tents in the pitch-black with several LED flashlights. We finally got a fire going after about 20 minutes (it had rained the night before). I think we went to bed that first night around 4 in the morning.

...Anddddd I woke up with the biggest Daddy Long-Legs on my pillow. I know there's an old wives' tale about them being the most poisonous spiders ever. I don't generally believe it. Except, of course, when all of its eyes are staring me down. I squashed it promptly and with very little regret.

The rest of the trip was fairly overcast and uneventful. We hiked, but mostly hung around the fire and sang hymns and other songs together. We also almost burnt down the forest (don't tell anyone!)

I don't want to bore you with the bogged-down descriptions of the trip. I will say this: I met some very lovely people I hope to remain friends with for my life. The OCF at UGA is very welcoming, a little crazy, and a lot of fun. I'm glad I was able to get involved in a student organization that believes as I do, and had fun doing it. It was a blessing, though one I think I will need many months from before partaking of again :)

A Few More Updates (Rapid-fire style!):


  • Tried making a prayer rope with some people from OCF. I can see why the story about the demon being unable to untie the knot is true. It was so difficult to even get it going. I successfully made one knot (with the help of a friend) and stopped... Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner! I just can't do it.
  • Visited my second Divine Liturgy this past week. Just as great as the first, and I followed along a little better. I was able to step outside my "Protestant" comfort zone and kiss the awe-inspiring cross at the end of the service, as Father Anthony handed me a piece of the blessed bread. What a joy it is that our Lord died for us on that cross! How thankful I am to remember His death and resurrection thusly!
  • Coffee Hour?! Jeez, the Orthodox know how to party! Love it! 

Pray for me,

Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment